Research Awards* & Fellowships
|2021- 2024||Presidential Research Professor at UMBC.|
|2018-||Global Highly Cited Researcher, Cross Field (2018 – 2021; Clarivate Analytics)|
|2019||Innovation in Sustainability Science Award, Ecological Society of America.|
|2017||€16,000||Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Padova e Rovigo Visiting Professor at the Department of Land, Environment, Agriculture and Forestry (TESAF) of the University of Padova (4 months; May to August 2017).|
|2012-2015||$631,203||Ecosynth: An Advanced Open-Source 3D Toolkit for Forest Ecology (ABI Development).|
PI**: National Science Foundation (DBI 1147089). <project web site>
|2011-2015||$1,288,474||GLOBE: Evolving New Global Workflows for Land Change Science. (CDI-Type II)|
PI: National Science Foundation (CNS 1125210). <project web site>
|2011-2012||$27,973||Forest structure measurements using multispectral Terrestrial LIDAR Scanning.|
sole PI: U.S. Forest Service (Joint Venture Agreement 11-JV-112423006-098). <project web site>
|2011-2011||$15,000||Anthrome Analysis Tools for Geo-Web Uses.|
sole PI: U.S. National Academy of Sciences (Professional Services Agreement DELS-200000034)
|2010-2011||$26,000||Act Locally, Understand Globally: Prototyping the Global Comparison Engine at UMBC.|
PI: UMBC Research Seed Funding Initiative (RSFI). <project web site>
|2010-2011||$27,040||Spectral and 3D Structural Remote Sensing of Land Cover Features at the Wildland-Urban Interface Using Computer Vision.|
sole PI: U.S. Forest Service (Joint Venture Agreement 06-JV-11242300-135). <project web site>
|2007-2009||$39,000||Wild Bird and Poultry Interactions: Modeling Avian Influenza.|
PI: U.S. Geological Survey
|2006-2001||$25,000||Mapping and Classifying Relationships Between Vegetation and Built Structures at High Spatial Resolutions.|
sole PI: U.S. Forest Service (Joint Venture Agreement 06-JV-11242300-135)
|2007-2008||$38,145||Tracking Bar-headed Geese from Qinghai Province, China Using Satellite Telemetry.|
PI: National Science Foundation (SGER, OISE 0713027)
|2000-2006||$643,140||Long-term Biogeochemical Changes in China’s Anthropogenic Landscapes.|
sole PI: National Science Foundation (DEB 0075617). <project web site>
|2002-2004||$8,000||Watershed 263 Project.|
Co-PI: U.S. Forest Service.
|1995-1997||$55,000||U.S.-China Cooperative Research Fellowship: Nitrogen Cycling and Ecological Sustainability in Agroecosystems.|
sole PI (Postdoctoral Fellowship): National Science Foundation (OISE 9523944). <project web site>
|1993-1995||$69,600||Nutrient Cycling as a Measure of Agroecosystem Sustainability.|
sole PI (Postdoctoral Fellowship): National Science Foundation (DEB 9303261). <project web site>
**PI = Principal Investigator.
Institutions, Professional Groups
- 2022 – IPBES Transformative Change Assessment, Lead Author
- 2018 – Nature Needs Half, Advisory Committee Member
- 2018 – Global Land Programme, Fellow
- 2012 – The Breakthrough Institute, Senior Fellow
- 2011 – Anthropocene Working Group, International Commission on Stratigraphy, Member.
- 2012 – 2017 Global Land Programme, Scientific Steering Committee (GLP SSC)
- 2011 – 2015 Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC), NASA, Member, User Working Group
- 2012 – Rapid Response Team, Ecological Society of America (ESA), Member.
- 2008 – Human Ecology Section, Ecological Society of America (ESA): Chair (2012-13), Vice Chair (2009-2011), Webmaster (2008-2010)
- 2019 – People and Nature: Editorial Board
- 2017 – Progress in Physical Geography: Contributing Editor
- 2013 – The Anthropocene Review: Member, Editorial Board
- 2018 – 2020 Annals of the American Association of Geographers: Editorial Board
- 2017 – 2021 – Quaternary: Member, Editorial Board
- 2016 – 2021 – Land: Editorial Board; Section Editor for Land Systems and Global Change (2019 -2021 )
- 2008 – Acta Ecologica Sinica (International Journal): Member, Editorial Board
- 2008 – Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems (Journal of Sustainable Agriculture): Member, Editorial Board
Workshops & Professional Participation
- 2015 – Global Biodiversity Monitoring, Prediction & Reporting Initiative (Future Earth / Yale University), Participant
- 2015 – Seeds of a Good Anthropocene Initiative (Future Earth / Stockholm Resilience Center), Participant (Stellenbosch, South Africa, Stockholm, Sweden)
- 2015 – Scientific Societies and the Unifying Message, Pursuing a Unifying Message in Support of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resources Research (December 9, 2015, American Association for the Advancement Science, Washington, DC), Representative of Ecological Society of America.
- 2015 – Land Use 6000 (LU6K) Workshop (October 22-23, 2015, University of Chicago Center, Paris, France), Participant [workshop flyer]
- 2015 – Human Niche Construction Workshop (October 16-17, 2015, Rachel Carson Center, Munich, Germany), Participant
- 2015 – Google Earth Engine User Summit 2015 (Google, Mountain View, CA), Participant
- 2015 – Creative Conservation: How Humanity Innovates to Protect Nature (Resources for the Future Seminar, May 27, 2015, Washington, DC), Panelist
- 2014 – Anthropocene Curriculum / Anthropocene Campus (House der Kulturen der Welt, Berlin), Co-presenter of Anthropogenic Landscapes Seminar [introductory presentation video].
- 2014 – Future Earth Projects Meeting (Future Earth/National Academy of Sciences, Washington DC), Participant.
- 2013-2014 – The Anthropocene Project (House der Kulturen der Welt, Berlin). Co-presenter of Island: Perspectives, Dialogue with Emma Marris, Interview with Bernd Scherer.
- 2013 – Globalizing Our Understanding of Land-use Change (National Social Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC), Annapolis, Maryland). Co-PI.
- 2008 – Global Land Use Data Workshop (Institute of Social Ecology, Vienna, Austria, cohosted by the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency (PBL) and the Global Land Project). Participant.
Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment; AMBIO; Annals of the Association of American Geographers; Anthropocene; The Anthropocene Review; Applied Vegetation Science; Area; Basic & Applied Ecology; Biological Conservation; Biological Reviews; BioScience; Conservation Biology; Conservation Letters; Current Biology; Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability; Diversity and Distributions; Earth’s Future; Ecography; Ecological Applications; Ecological Economics; Ecological Engineering, Ecological Monographs; Ecology and Evolution; Ecology Letters; Ecosystems; Environmental Modeling and Assessment; Environmental Modelling & Software; Environmental Research Letters; Environmental Science & Policy; Evolutionary Anthropology; Forest Ecology and Management; Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment; Geoderma; Geographical Review; The Geological Society of London Special Publications; Geophysical Research Letters; Global Biogeochemical Cycles; Global Change Biology; Global Ecology and Biogeography; Global Ecology and Conservation; Global Environmental Change; Global Policy; The Holocene; Human Ecology; IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters; ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information; Journal of Agricultural Science; Journal of Applied Geography; Journal of Environmental Management; Journal of Environmental Quality; Journal of Geophysical Research; Journal of Historical Geography; Journal of Land Use Science; Journal of Sustainable Agriculture; The Lancet; Land; Landscape Ecology; Landscape and Urban Planning; Landscape Journal; Land Use Policy; Methods in Ecology and Evolution; Nature; National Science Review; Nature Ecology and Evolution; Nature Human Behaviour; Nature Sustainability; Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems; One Earth; Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology; Pedosphere; Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B; Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America; Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Science; The Professional Geographer; Progress in Human Geography; Progress in Physical Geography; Quaternary; Quaternary Science Reviews; Regional Environmental Change; Remote Sensing; Remote Sensing of Environment; Restoration Ecology; Science; Science Advances; Scientific Reports; Surveys in Geophysics; Sustainability; Sustainability Science; Trends in Ecology and Evolution; Urban Ecosystems.
Books, Chapters, other publications
Encyclopedia of Earth, Environmental Science textbooks (assorted), National Academy of Sciences, Shifting Ground: The Shifting Agricultural Soils of China and Indonesia, Biodiversity in Agriculture: Domestication, Evolution, and Sustainability
2017 – Cultural Evolution Society
2005 – American Geophysical Union
2005 – INTECOL
1996 – AAAS